Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Resumes and Frustration

As most people who read my blog know, I have been looking for a job since June. I "resigned" from my previous employer. I put that word in quotes, because I was basically hung out to dry. My former boss never gave a reason (and didn't have to) for firing me. It was a difficult experience, especially since I had been with the company for almost five years and had outstanding performance reviews. It's hard not to feel like a failure, because you leave college thinking you'll conquer the world and be very successful before you turn 30. (At least, I did.)

I have been applying for jobs and had two interviews since June. The current job market is flooded with applicants. The worst part is having to apply to jobs and not be able to follow-up. Many postings say "no phone calls" or only give a fax number. How do you ever become more than a piece of paper or a Word file?

2 comments:

Alissa said...

Corie, I can't imagine how frustrating that would be. Do you think you and Pat could move here, and we could pay you to watch the boys full-time while I try to find a job? They're always hiring teachers, after all, right??!

Seriously...I remember looking for a job years ago (while I was still at PwC) and feeling the same way. I'd submit my resume online but there was no way to know if anyone ever got it. Have you thought about trying to do something part-time instead, or at least for now? Even something completely random like working in a bookstore or some place that really interests you. I would love to work in a bakery or bookstore (of course the hours for each would likely be horrible, but I feel like it would at least be something up my alley!). Just an idea...something to keep you (partially) busy and bring in some money until you find a full-time job.

Or...not sure if this would interest you at all....Dean's old co-worker Mike is married to a girl who used to teach full-time, but now she just tutors kids who are at risk for not passing the TAKS test. She works quite a few hours a week and gets paid pretty well (and she works through her old school...not an outside tutoring company or anything). I'm sure they could use math tutors all over the place...and it would beat teaching a classroom full of kids (yikes!). Just some thoughts....

CS said...

Tutoring is not something I've thought of. With school back in session, it is something to think about...