Monday, August 25, 2008

Susan G. Komen Foundation

I've decided to do the Race for the Cure again this year. This is my 3rd time! It is an overwhelming experience and one that I love. The atmosphere is incredible, and it is amazing to see the power and love of everyone around you.

The cause against breast cancer is very dear to me. My maternal grandmother is a breast cancer survivor. She has been cancer-free for several years, and the disease is not quite real until it happens to someone close to you. I remember when Mom and I went with her to one of her chemo appointments. Memaw handled it like a pro, but the situation was unnerving. It puts into perspective how quickly a life can be lost.

I especially like the Komen Foundation, because they help women before, during, and after the disease. They help provide mammograms, all-around support, and even bras when coping with a mastectomy. Nancy Brinker started the foundation 25 years ago after she promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would fight to end breast cancer. They offer hope and celebrate those who are affected by breast cancer.

If you are reading this and would like to donate, please go to my donation page here.

No comments: