Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Do Other People Put Up With This?

I'm going to rant in this blog posting, so be warned.

In an earlier posting, I talked about meeting with two florists. The one I'm talking about is not the one we chose. Mom and I met the day before Thanksgiving with a florist that usually decorates our wedding locale. At the end of the meeting, he promised an estimate by the next Monday or Tuesday.

I waited until Friday, 1 1/2 weeks later, without receiving the estimate or a phone call. I called Friday morning and left a message asking about it. No one returned my call. Really professional, huh?

On Saturday morning, the guy calls and says the estimate is about to be e-mailed to me. I almost told him not to bother sending it, but I was curious. When I check my account, I have an e-mail from him. A 14,000 KB e-mail!! It takes about 5 minutes to open, and then I see why. This guy had SCANNED his hand-written notes and jotted down monetary estimates beside his notes. On top of all of this, the final tally was insanely expensive.

I don't have a problem with someone taking longer than expected to get a document to me. If he had called and said he was really behind, it would have been no problem.

In the pictures I saw of other weddings at the Tutwiler, it seems like they are normally the florists. Did they treat other brides like this? Do people actually put up with this unprofessionalism? My dad always says that some businesses are in business in spite of themselves. This is a perfect example.

You're entrusting these vendors with one of the most important days of your life. If you're too artsy and wishy-washy to handle the business side, hire someone who can.

No comments: