Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Honeymoon (Key West, Florida)

Our last day on the cruise was spent in Key West. That was our favorite place by far!! I expected it to be more ritzy and expensive than it was. Pat described it as "New Orleans with a twist." There are obvious differences, but that is overall a good description. (FYI - There aren't drunk people walking around, and Key West is much cleaner.)

We started with the Hemingway House and saw his polydactyl cats. The house looked the same as when Ernest Hemingway lived there. I obviously loved all the cats everywhere!

Here is a good pic of one sleeping in one of Hemingway's chairs. Check out his front paw with 6 toes!

One of the cat trainers gave me some food, and I got to feed the cats. I was even on their web cam! They have a 24 hour live web cam of the cats on their web site. If you were watching on April 16, I waved at you! :-) They name most of the cats after famous actors and actresses. I met Howard Hughes! They also have headstones for the cats that have passed.

We also went to the Southernmost Point. Mom told me not to expect much more than a weather-beaten buoy. She was right, but I think they painted it since she'd seen it last! I found it scary that in Key West you are only 90 miles from Cuba but 150 miles from Miami. Maybe that shouldn't make me uncomfortable, but it did!

No comments: