Friday, September 5, 2008

Thursday night's RNC

I think the RNC went very well. McCain did much better last night than I was expecting. I don't know that I am 100% behind him, but I am behind him for the purposes of this election. Cindy McCain also did well. She has come off as cold to me, but she did a great job with her speech and showed a different side of herself. And, how good does Roberta McCain look for 96?!?

Many times during the convention, it was said that this is the most important election of our lifetime. With such high stakes, the elections get more and more crucial. We can't open ourselves to terrorism, no matter how many feelings we hurt.

This was the first time I heard the whole story of John McCain's POW experience. He was and is a hero. Whether it was his idea or his advisors' idea, the choice of Sarah Palin was just what his campaign needed. Until that choice, I had been asleep. The choice was really a lesser of two evils. Palin's inclusion woke me up, made me excited, and changed the tone of the election.

Here are some quotes that I liked from McCain's speech:

"Cindy said a lot of nice things about me tonight. But, in truth, she’s more my inspiration than I am hers."

"In the end, it matters less that you can fight. What you fight for is the real test."

"We have dealt a serious blow to Al Qaida in recent years, but they’re not defeated, and they’ll strike us again, if they can. "

"I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not."

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else’s. "

"I loved (America) because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for. I was never the same again; I wasn’t my own man anymore; I was my country’s."

"We’re Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history."

The ending of the speech was perfect as McCain continued speaking while the crowd applauded.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Wow, what wonderful commentaries! I hadn't read your recap of Wednesday and Thursday yet. I agree....I LOVE Sarah Palin!!! She is so funny and is PERFECT for the ticket! Looking forward to reading more of your political commentary in the coming weeks. :)