Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wednesday night's RNC

Sarah Palin did an incredible job last night. Whether or not she felt it, she did not show a trace of fear. Despite what others say, that was not her first rodeo. All I was thinking as she entered the stage was, "Do well, Sarah." It's hard to put your hope in politicians, and I am apprehensive to do so. But last night, I was so hopeful for her and was rooting for her.

She made many excellent points during her speech. I don't think she minds being controversial, and you could see the shock in people's faces. There was one shot of Huckabee where you just knew he was thinking, "Wow, I wouldn't have gone that far, but she's right..." (I do wish Fox News had shown all the speeches from last night. I wanted Huckabee to win the Republican nomination, and I enjoy listening to him.)

The best quote of Palin's speech for me was:
"And among the many things I owe (my parents) is a simple lesson that I’ve learned, that this is America, and every woman can walk through every door of opportunity."

I teared up hearing her say that. Was I actually watching history be made? Am I actually watching the first female vice president, and she's a Republican? I don't want to jump the gun, but she seems like someone who is and will be a great role model for many women. I just imagine a young girl watching her speak and being inspired. That is priceless.

More great quotes from her speech...

"You know, they say the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities."

"I’m not going to Washington to seek (the media's) good opinion. I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this great country."

"While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor’s office that I didn’t believe our citizens should have to pay for. That luxury jet was over-the-top. I put it on eBay."
(I love that! It sold for about $2 million! And a nice plug for another one of McCain's choices - Meg Whitman...)

"But listening to (Obama) speak, it’s easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or even a reform, not even in the State Senate."

"In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers, and then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

No comments: